Tuesday, July 12, 2011

God is kind to idiots...

I've read about people who have done this kind of thing, and wondered how in the heck they could make that kind of mistake. And now, I've done it, and I understand.

Saturday I did some hair cutting, and since it had been a long time since I'd used the clippers, I responsibly oiled them up. I left the little bottle of appliance oil on the bathroom counter and failed to put it away with the rest of the equipment when I was finished. Fast forward to last night just before bedtime, when my eyes were feeling a little dry from being in a house with fans running all day. Yep. I did it. Grabbed the appliance oil instead of the bottle of eye drops and plunked a drop in each eye. (Never mind one has a black lid and the other is white.) No burning, but my vision surely got foggy in a hurry.

It took me a moment to realize what I'd done, and then I started flushing my eyes with water. Then, thinking that oil and water don't mix anyway, I began gently wiping the white part of my eyes to remove the oil, which actually was productive. (Don't tell my ophthalmologist, but I put a drop of vegetable oil in each eye to dilute the other oil before I called him. It worked fine.) Anyway, he wasn't too shook up about the whole thing and said it was fortunate that it wasn't an acid or base that would cause burns. Said my eyes would be more swollen because I'd flushed them than because of the oil - take 2 Tylenol before I went to bed.

God is kind. Eyes were fine this morning, and the skin around my eyes was nicely soft and supple. So glad it wasn't SuperGlue. Now that would have been a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment