Monday, December 6, 2010

Measuring Life

I have one of those (please don't call it cheesy) pieces of wall art proclaiming, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." I'm still trying to find the nails so I can hang it up.

I suppose many people read "moments that take our breath away" and think of wonderful moments, or thrilling moments, or those that cause awe, gratitude or joy. But I think there are defining moments in life of equal or greater importance which take our breath away like a sucker punch, knocking us off dead center, looking for all the world like there is nothing good that could result. And those moments probably have a greater and more lasting impact on us than the ones that make us smile.

In part, that's because it's where I see God show up more clearly.

In good times, it's easy enough to bask in the fun of the moment, but it is in those hard places, those moments when it's tough to catch my breath, that God shows Himself in His compassion and adequacy. I've physically had the wind knocked out of me a couple of times in my life, and for the most part, all I could do was lie on the ground waiting for my breath to come back.

When events or circumstances knock me to the ground and leave me sucking wind, it's gratifying to know that no pain is wasted, no experience is squandered by the One Who redeems my "breath-taking" moments.

1 comment:

  1. Even sappy me has thought of it as "too sweet" especially the George Strait song version.
    Thanks for changing my perspective. (and you should probably get to know who George Strait is since you live in Nashvillywood area) :)

    ReplyDelete