Thursday, February 17, 2011

It's Coming!


I'm not daring to think that Spring is here in the southern United States, but the promises are all there. I've been told that I will get lulled into thinking the snow is over and done with and it's time to put on sandals, and then we'll get another round of cold and snow.

But I was out walking today, and even though it's cloudy and there's a north wind, the crocus are undeniable signs - it won't be long until Spring, for real. The pansies are actually carry-overs from fall planting - I had no idea they could survive single digit weather. So, I've learned something. For the record, these plants were found on my walk, not in my yard. The yard is a ...fresh palette, shall we say?

This was a jaw-dropper:  Yesterday I walked downtown and as I passed a house, a woman who had just parked in the driveway jumped out of her car and said, "Joanne!"  Startled, I turned around and she continued, "remember me from Tracy Lane?" OK, my name is Joanne, and I DID live on Tracy Lane in Iowa City 25 years ago. I was wracking (racking?) my brain trying to place her, but truly I couldn't remember anyone who looked like her from Iowa City (she was of African-American descent, which aided the brain search). She continued, seeing my puzzled look, "You know, we used to watch the girls play softball. How is your daughter?" So that was the clincher, because Emily NEVER played softball.

I explained that I had just moved here 3 months ago, and I was really sorry, but I didn't think I was who she thought I was. The woman apologized and said, "You look just like my friend, Joanne." Well, I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for her - I may have a twin here!

No comments:

Post a Comment