Friday, January 14, 2011

Disturbances

Making breakfast Christmas morning
Whenever Bruce used to change the water filter at our house in Muscatine, he generally had to flush the line to blow out the sediment and mineral deposits that had been dislodged during the process.  Likewise, throwing a big rock in a still pond will stir up silt and mud that is usually settled at the bottom. This move to Franklin has been like a big rock disturbing my placid life, for which I am appreciative - sort of!

Charles Swindoll said "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it." Lots of times, over the past 2 months, I haven't posted much simply because I was processing (and reacting to) everything we were experiencing. (Trust me, there is much about my brain you really don't want to know!) I have spent much of my time learning how to respond to new circumstances and the "silt" in my life that got stirred up from the disturbance of my "normal".

It seems to me that, rather quietly, I've turned a corner of sorts this week. In part it's due to time, in part to the return of routine and creative outlets, and in large part to grace and the kind intercession of friends and family.

I have learned things I don't ever want to forget and experienced kindnesses I will always remember. I finally, truly understand why Jesus commends us for showing hospitality to strangers (Mt 25:35). Being a stranger is a "broken place" along with being hungry, thirsty and in need - and in the comfort of community I was oblivious to that. Not anymore.

So I've learned something. And Mom always said if you learned something it was a good day - so I've had lots of good days!

2 comments:

  1. You continue to inspire me from many miles away. Big hug. I slipped up and called a cart a buggy the other day--it gave Tom a big laugh.

    ReplyDelete