Saturday, January 15, 2011

Local Flavor

This morning Bruce and I had a date at Dotson's, an almost 60-year-old, down-by-the-river, hole in the wall, local eatery this morning. The awning wasn't up and we didn't exactly know which door to use, but a kind couple pointed us the right direction.

It was the real deal - grits, biscuits and autographed menus and pictures of country singers. But the highlight of the excursion occurred when Bruce went to pay the tab and a young man close by said, "It isn't often that you'll see a Hawkeye and Iowa State cap in the same place in Franklin."  He had grown up in Lisbon, gone to college at U of I and started work in Franklin 9 years ago. He liked it so much he stayed. We had a nice conversation with his family and then, since the sun was actually shining, we took a little drive to explore the regions south of Franklin.

I have a new geography program employed to help me learn the names of nearby towns and regions. It's called Craigslist.  Looking at posts forces me to look on a map to locate the sellers. So I know that Hendersonville is too far, Smyrna or Lewisburg, maybe, but Cool Springs, Brentwood and the Vanderbilt area can be OK.  Aren't I getting an education? Who knew shopping could be so beneficial?

No comments:

Post a Comment