Friday, January 21, 2011

The importance of reminders

I've been amazed by the things I've come across during this move that possess the power to transport me to specific moments in time - photos, mementos, and small gifts from people.

This picture, for example, was taken when we were living in a duplex in Iowa City and Emily was an infant, probably around 6 months of age. (I look amazingly alert, despite the fact that she didn't sleep much the first 6 months of life. I  remember sitting in 985 Pammel Ct. in Ames, surrounded by our boxed up worldly possessions staged for moving, trying to quiet a disconsolate 2-week-old infant while Bruce struggled to help his hired typist understand that the tables in his dissertation were typed incorrectly, and I mused, 'I wonder if this is what they mean by "stress"?')

I've been challenged the past couple of weeks to remind myself daily of that which is truly important because I am forgetful. In the face of distractions I am prone to forgetting that God is kind and present and sufficient. I forget that my purpose is to know and enjoy Him forever and bring Him glory. I forget that His nearness is my good and in His presence is fullness of joy.

My word prompt is "enjoy" - to center my soul for a few moments throughout the day on the One who is truly enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment