Saturday, November 27, 2010

Simple!

I've decided that food in the South is pretty simple.  There is no food pyramid since there are only 2 basic food groups...starch and sugar.  Oh wait, make it 3, because I forgot about fat.  It is wonderful! Everything tastes good. 

Thanksgiving was amazing - I don't understand why it's called comfort food when eating it causes discomfort...mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, potato salad, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, pecan pie and coconut cake. And of course, cornbread dressing (it would have been called cornbread stuffing if it had been stuffed in the turkey, but I was also informed by another source that then it would also be called food poisoning).  I'm learning so much!

Going to the grocery store is nothing short of an adventure.  One can find boxes of pork chitterlings, canned okra/ mustard greens/tomatoes, and other assorted items that don't appear regularly on shelves back in Iowa. I have not seen an Iowa Chop yet. I was feeling pretty worldly yesterday when a store associate asked me if I wanted a buggy, and thanks to my tutors, Gina and Linda, I expertly replied, "Yes, Sir, I do. Thank you." And I accepted the shopping cart and strolled away. Thanks, Friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment