Tuesday, October 12, 2010

House Hunting

I was told that house hunting is the most fun part about moving. If that's true, kill me now.

Anybody who knows me, knows I'd rather take a stick to the head than shop. I like to go, get what I need, and go home. Period.

Home buying is like drug-crazed shopping that will put you in debt for 15 or 30 years. What's to like about that? No home is perfect, and they're in a continual state of deterioration from the day they're built. So I'm committed to "living in the land of Good Enough".  The mantra of this move is "Give me neither poverty nor riches" from Proverbs 30 - there is no room for perfectionism in living a peaceful life. (A perfectionist is a person who takes great pains...and gives them to others!)

So after viewing 15 or so homes over the past 2 days, I've whittled the list down to 2 good possibilities. Both are about 10-12 minutes to work for Bruce and about 15 minutes to the church we visited (profound, applicable and accurate teaching) and have the majority of things on our "want list." We didn't know we'd have to add $50K for a yard large enough that we couldn't shake hands with our neighbors through the side windows.  That was a rude awakening.

But we're learning. And Mom always said if you learned something, it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment