Saturday, October 30, 2010

My New-Old Life

Today I dusted off my 3-speed Raleigh Sprite, the bicycle I purchased with some of my first paychecks from the Ames Tribune back in 1977. It cost me $154 and I rode it to work for 7 years, except when inclement weather dictated it necessary to take CyRide.  The fender is still a little twisted from the neighbor on Hyland who didn't like sharing the carport with a bicycle, but other than that, it's still in pretty good shape. I  parked the bike when I was pregnant with Emily and I can't say I've done any significant riding since.

So now seems a good time to resurrect the bike riding habit - we'll be living about 2 miles from downtown, and biking for Saturday morning breakfast sounds like a fun excursion.  And the library is about 3 miles - a perfect afternoon outing to toodle along.  I have no interest in suffering from "biker buns" after a regrettable experience in Minnesota, and anticipate breaking myself in slowly!

No comments:

Post a Comment