Sunday, October 24, 2010

Whipped Cream

So I've been separated from Bruce for a week now, and have resorted to the comfort afforded by eating whipped cream out of an aerosol can. It's fewer calories than actually eating, say, ice cream with fudge sauce, and there is something decadent about doing the forbidden, although I am not delusional to think that Bruce or the kids have not sprayed their mouths full of the stuff when I was not looking. 

They know that I am a germ-a-phobe and don't like drinking out of other people's glasses and would faint at the thought of using someone else's toothbrush. I also keep hand sanitizer in my purse for appropriate moments, like when we're encouraged to shake hands with people in church - especially when I just saw them cough or wipe their nose minutes before.  I just had the thought that it might be residual caution I developed when I was going through chemotherapy when my immune system was compromised and I had low white blood counts.  Anyway, I'm hardly ever sick, so there must be some benefit.

I spent most of Friday printing, signing, scanning and returning papers for purchasing our home in Franklin. There came a point after 45 minutes of trying to remind the computer and scanner/printer that they were supposed to be friends and talk to each other, rebooting several times with no success, that I laid my head down on the table and wanted to cry.  It just wasn't working, and I had 17 pages to get back to Bruce. I lifted my head and raised my voice to the Father and said, "You have to fix it - I can't and I don't know what else to do!  I need help!"  And I clicked on the Import button and the scanner started.  He is Lord over even the pathetic technology we have created here, and I am deeply grateful. Then I DID cry, but out of gratitude, not frustration.

Saturday my sister Rosemary came to help - I needed an unbiased opinion on sorting through the toys - and she provided wonderful moral support.  Plus, the Scrabble god smiled on me, she picked up an inordinate number of vowels and I got to put the X on a triple letter space, enough to push me over the top for the day. Scrabble, you know, is the Oliver Girls Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment